2 and up or when you feel comfortable having your child play with playdough
What you need:
- Food coloring
- Alum (usually found with the spices at the grocery store)
- Oil (we use coconut oil)
Best Play-dough Recipe:
mix the all ingredients together
- 2 ½ cup of flour
- ½ cup of salt
- 1tbl alum
- 1 ¾ cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp oil (coconut water)
1. Make the play-dough. Use the recipe above OR your preferred recipe.
2. When the dough is ready serrate it in half and set one half to the side.
3. With the second half separate into small pieces and roll into a ball. (I wanted 3 different colors so I separated the dough into 3 separate balls.)
4. Then take one ball at a time and add the food coloring and mix.
5. When the colors have been mixed well create and roll smaller balls.
6. Then take the dough you have set aside. You will take a handful of dough, roll it out and cover the colored ball and roll it into a bigger ball. The color should be in the middle covered by the plain play dough.
When the balls are ready you can give them to your children and ask them to guess what color they will find inside. Watch them mix the playdough and get surprised at the colors that appear. You can then let them mix the play-dough to create new colors or you can also give them haters and have them hammer it out until the color appears. Have fun!
Children will work on grip strength as they squish the play dough and try to find the color. They will also be able to work on colors and their names as you interact and ask them questions. Of course, play dough is a great way for children to use their imagination.