Let your children let out some steam. You can do this activity indoors OR outdoors. It has become a go-to at my house and the excitement starts the day before when we set it up and place it in the freezer. This is a great multi-sensory activity.
2 and up.
What you need: (note you could just use ice cubes)
- Lego, small toys, or rocks
- Toy hammer
1. Collect small toys, rocks, legos, etc., and put them in a container with water.
2. Then place in the freezer until frozen.
3. When your children are ready for this activity simply take it out of the freezer and let them try to figure out how to get the toys out of the ice. They can use toy hammers, little hammers for older children, sticks, warm water… whatever they can think of and you approve.
The objective of this activity is to have your child use their problem-solving skills to get an object out of the ice. Although this activity seems simple they are using and working on a lot of skills in order to accomplish this goal.
- Grip strength
- Cause and effect
- Hand-eye coordination
- Science of solid and liquid