Spill and Count is the easiest counting activity to set up. No mess is easy clean up and is a great way to work on counting and grouping. The best part is your child set this activity up all on their own if they wanted to. In our home, we do a lot of child lead learning. This means my children get to choose what they want to get into, math, science, reading, writing, coloring, history, etc. So I love activities like this. Ones they can take out and set up on their own.
3 and up
What you need:
- Marker, crayon or anything to write with
- Set up a long piece of paper on a flat surface.
- Take your legos or duplos and just spill them over the wite paper.
- Then give your child a marker and ask them to draw a circle around 4 legos. (You can choose any number)
- When they are done, have them count how many groups of 4 they were able to circle.
- Your child will work on their counting first and foremost.
- They will also be working on their writing skills as they draw the circle.
- They will gain an understanding of grouping.